Implant Removal With Breast Lift
Breast augmentation doesn’t always provide women with the aesthetic results they desire. There is a myriad of reasons why women may become dissatisfied with having augmented breasts. If you no longer care to have your breast implants, then you shouldn’t have to live with them. Dr. Kao performs implant removal and can surgically correct the appearance of your breasts to restore more natural and aesthetically pleasing breasts.
Candidates for Implant Removal
Women seeking to remove their implants should be in overall good health unless a medical complication has precipitated the need for implant removal. Women should have realistic expectations about how their breasts may change following implant extraction. Patients who consider implant removal may identify with one or more of the following:
- A longing to restore natural breasts
- The weight of implants causes discomfort such as back pain
- Complications, such as deflation or capsular contractor, facilitate the need to remove the implants
- The implants do not satisfactorily compliment the patient’s body shape
Candidates for a Breast Lift After Implant Removal
Many women find that their breast tissue has laxity and sags after their implants are removed. This is due to the inability of the breast tissue to shrink back to the original size after being expanded and stretched by the implants. Breast appearance can vary from woman to woman. You may experience one or more of the following:
- Lower breast sagging (ptosis)
- A deflated breast appearance
- Drooping nipples that point downward
- The accumulation of loose breast tissue
Implant Removal and Breast Lift Procedure
Propofol sedation or general anesthesia is used to ensure that your procedure is safe and pain-free. If you only desire implant removal and Dr. Kao agrees that no lift is necessary, an incision will be created along the scar from your previous augmentation surgery. The implants are removed, and the incisions are closed. However, most women will require some surgical correction of the breasts after implant removal to ensure an aesthetically pleasing result.
If you have already decided to undergo a breast lift with your implant removal, you have a few incision location options to choose from depending on the extent of correction needed.
- Existing Incision and a Circumareolar Incision: Your removal incision can be created along your original incision site. Then, if you only require a mild lift or are undergoing an internal bra lift, a single incision is created around the areola. Through this incision, the breast tissue is lifted, and sutures are used to hold the breasts in a higher, firmer position. Click here to read more about Dr. Kao’s circumareolar mastopexy technique.
- Inverted-T Incision: Women who either already have an inframammary incision scar or who have severely excessive breast laxity and poor quality skin, an inverted-T incision is required. Dr. Kao makes an incision around the areola, vertically down the breast tissue, and horizontally along the natural contours of the inframammary fold. This technique is ideal for women with heavier breasts and more severe sagging. Breast tissue may be removed, and the remaining tissue is shaped and lifted to bring the breasts into a higher position. Click here to read more about Dr. Kao’s inverted-T mastopexy technique.
During your breast lift, sagging or drooping nipples may be repositioned to restore a more youthful appearance. Dr. Kao is also skilled in helping correct the appearance of stretch marks on the breasts. His goal is to restore both the functionality and comfort of your breasts as well as to improve the aesthetic appearance for a more youthful, firm breast.
You will experience bruising, swelling, and redness following your procedure. You may be required to wear a compression garment following your surgery to minimize swelling, facilitate healing, and help improve your results. You might experience some mild discomfort, but oral medication will be prescribed to control any associated pain. You should avoid strenuous physical activity for three to four weeks following your procedure.
All of Dr. Kao’s patients have the option to stay at an aftercare facility. Serenity is a post-surgical care facility situated just across the street from Dr. Kao’s surgical facility and is located in a federally and state-licensed healthcare center.
Breast numbness and loss of nipple sensitivity are usually only temporary. You can return to work after a week and resume your normal exercise routine after four weeks. Most major swelling should begin to subside after six weeks, at which time your final results should become visible.
Removing implants will decrease the size of your breasts, and the lift will provide long-lasting correction to the appearance of your breasts. Your breast tissue is still subject to the natural aging process, and you may develop additional sagging over time. Dr. Kao takes great care to control the quality and shape of the scar to minimize scarring.
If you wish to remove undesirable breast implants and restore the appearance of your breasts, schedule your consultation today. Dr. Kao is a board-certified plastic surgeon who specializes in cosmetic and reconstructive surgery. He and his helpful, friendly staff are available to answer any questions or concerns you may have. Contact our office at 310-315-9211 or fill out our online contact form here for additional information.
Schedule a consultation
Please fill out the form below to schedule a consultation with Dr. Kao